What are the odds – the game
May the odds be with you!
Introduction: Why I love “what are the odds” and made this site
“What are the odds” or also “odds are” is a simple game I was told by a friend some years ago and which I learned to love because so many crazy things happened to me by playing this game.
So why do I love it so much?
That’s simple, the game is very easy and can be taught to anyone in a couple of minutes. Also you can play the game at anytime and anywhere and it requires only 2 players. So if you are in a bar with friends, if you’re sitting in the park or if you just walk alone with your best buddy to the streets you can play this game and it will improve your day!
Why did I made this site?
Well there are quite some sites that explaining the rules of what are the odds. But there is always a lack of examples. So when most people hear about this game they think it’s only about drinking or similar. But in fact if you play the game right it can lead you to so much fun, challenges, new experiences and adventures.
What are the odds – the rules – how to play
I don’t want to cite Fight Club, but it seems necessary as every other explanation lacks the number one rule: If you accept the dare and loose you have to do it!
If it’s getting bald, running naked around the block or getting in the next airplane – YOU HAVE TO DO IT! Otherwise don’t even bother to play the odds are game.
After the written version of the what are the odds rules I will give an example how to play, as it is not that easy to explain with words.
One person starts let’s call him A. A selects the person he wants to challenge (B) and asks him “What are the odds…”. B can now refuse the dare but will be banned from daring other people. If B accepts he will respond with the odds. The odds will be told as 1 in X while X is a number between 2 and 100. So for example B says “1 in 10”. Now A and B simultaneously count from three down and saying a number between 1 and the selected range, here 10. If both say the same number, B has to fulfill the dare. If A and B say different numbers it’s over and the selected person B can pick someone for a different dare.
If the dare costs money, the darer has to pay for it!
You cannot say the same dare as revenge!
We did a lot of crazy shit, but as informal rule, no life altering/ending dares please.
A: What are the odds of you going down to your knees and making a proposal of marriage to the next person walking by?
B: 1 in 10.
A and B: 3, 2, 1
A: 4; B: 7
As they both said different numbers it’s over and nothing happens.
A: 8; B: 8
As they both said the same number, B has to fulfill the dare.
Easy dares should be under 1 in 10 while hard ones should not be over 1 in 40 as an unofficial rule. 1 in 100 is the official version, but no one really says that, the higher the number the less is the chance the person has to do it.
What are the odds – optional rules
There are quite some different or optional rules to the game to make it more interesting. I want to show you one that we made very good experience with.
If the numbers said adding up to the original said range number, they have to play again but with half the odds and the darer is challenged! This does of course not count if both say the same number.
So if we pick the example from above:
A and B: 3, 2, 1
A: 4; B: 6
4 + 6 = 10 which was the range of B.
Now both play again with a range of 5 but the darer has to face the challenge. This can prevent the darer from saying to crazy stuff because in worst case he has to face his own challenge. We made very good experience with this rule and it feels good when the darer has to fulfill his own shit sometimes 🙂
Questions & Examples – What are the odds
This list is ongoing if you have suggestions please write it in the comments or send me an email!
I made three categories but as the difficulty is very different for any person just take it as an orientation.
What are the odds of you…
- going over to that table and drinking the fullest beer and coming back without saying a word?
- turning around your underwear and wear it all night?
- changing cloth with this guy/girl?
- taking of your shirt and making 20 push-ups right here?
- saying “sir, yes sir” after everything you say to me
- eating this (can be a fly, bug, leftovers from dinner etc.)
- go to fridge and eat/drink the first thing you grab blindfolded
downing your drink?
- taking 10 selfies with strangers tonight?
- imitate your favorite celebrity for the next 30 minutes
- speaking with a French accent the rest of the day
- shaving a mustache and wear it for one week?
- not getting higher than 1 to 10 while playing what are the odds tonight?
- to ring the bell of this house and ask for a banana?
- do a body shot from this guy/girl
- try to break dance right here, right now
- going down to your knees and making a proposal of marriage to the next person walking by?
- to give a hug to a stranger? (or a selected person)
- lick my shoes
- not touching your phone fort the next 24 hours
- snort this line of pepper?
- adressing me as “my Lord” all night
What are the odds of you…
- removing your underwear for all night?
- singing the refrain of your favorite song out loud right now?
- Say “god, I hate myself” after everything you say for the next 15 minutes
- to put on make up (guys) / to remove your make up (girls)
- changing your cloth with the opposite gender?
- let me draw a “tattoo” with this pen on your arm?
- let me draw a fake mustache with this pen?
- going over to that girl and tell her that you just thought about her while masturbating on the restroom?
- take a shower with your cloth on
- giving yourself a new haircut
- taking an eyeball shot of tequila?
- ordering 10 pizzas to your best friend’s house
- going outside naked and walk slowly to the mailbox and back?
- licking the floor/table?
- to sing everything you say for 30 minutes
- going over to this guy/girl handing over a condom and saying “you will need it later”?
- going over to this person and ask for a threesome?
- writing fuck on your right and you on your left eyelid
- sleeping in your garden tonight?
- flashing your ass/boobs on the window? (while driving)
- of introducing yourself all night as “Dick Wiener”, “Will Whanker”, “Evelyn Sackrider” or “Shadynasty”?
What are the odds of you…
- getting bald right now?
- eating something out of the trash can?
- going over to this person and tell him/her you think he/she is very sexy/ugly?
- getting naked and running around the block?
- getting a tattoo now?
- going to the next airport and taking the next cheapest flight?
- calling your supervisor and tell him/her you don’t like him/her
- doing a striptease right now?
- calling your parents and telling them you’re moving to another country?
Want 100+ more what are the odds questions?
No problem! I have a list with over 100 additional what are the odds questions. Just send me an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with 10 of your favorite what are the odds questions. I will thank you and send the list with the questions to you directly!
As the game is played mostly spontaneously you should always involve your surrounding area. Do you see some stairs ask to go up there for 10 times, is there some disgusting food ask to try it, are there people around make the other player scream some crazy words. The best and most funny things came up to us just in the moment when we saw something we really did or didn’t want to do.
We were once thrown out of our hotel because we had to jump naked in the pool in the middle of the night, we cracked through a roof because we had to dance on it (luckily no one was hurt), and my friend threw up as he had to eat all the leftovers of the neighbors table. Now I have so many stories to tell and I still laugh remembering some of the things we had to do 🙂